The Friends are very pleased to announce the unveiling of the fourth of our heritage interpretation boards. On 21 March 2015 Sir Bob Russell, then the town’s MP, along with his family and supported by Colchester’s mayor, Cllr John Elliott, formally revealed the board.
Sir Bob and his family generously sponsored the board, with other costs paid for by the Friends and the Borough Council.
The board stands next to what was the North Gate of the Roman city and, in more recent history, the Colchester cattle market. The market operated at Middleborough from 1862 until 1975. A trough stands nearby to commemorate the site’s former function.
The North Gate was one of the main entrances to the Roman city. Its upper levels and central gateway were removed in 1774 and most of the rest of the remains cleared in 1823. There is very little now to show the magnificent structure that was once in place. The interpretation board is a reminder of what was once there. Please come and admire!