Sheepen Corner board unveiled

Sheepen Corner board unveiling

The Mayor, Cllr Gerard Oxford, Henry Spyvee, Chairman of the Friends and local Roman (and Councillor) Darius Laws unveil the board

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 the Mayor of Colchester unveiled our latest Interpretation Board at the northwest corner of the Wall at the junction of Middleborough and Balkerne Hill. The photo shows the Mayor, Friends Chairman, Henry Spyvee and Roman soldier, Cllr. Darius Laws with the new Board. The Board was erected with kind support from the Sixth Form College.
An extensive archaeological dig was carried out in this area in the 1970s. It discovered evidence of Roman buildings outside the wall dating from the 3rd and 4th centuries period. Nearby was the site of a Roman villa, where some magnificent floor mosaics were discovered.
Our Board displays an 1849 drawing of the Wall in this area, showing its height, a reconstruction of how the Wall was built and an image the Middleborough mosaic found in front of the Wall in 1979 when the town’s Cattle Market was removed. The mosaic is now displayed in Colchester castle museum.