The remains of Duncan’s Gate lie on the north side of the historic centre of Colchester, in the middle of Castle Park. The Gate was originally excavated by Dr PM Duncan in 1853 but it remains largely inaccessible behind railings.
The Friends would like to make the remains more accessible to the public. A closer inspection would allow people to see fhe form of the Gate since it, more-or-less fell backwards onto its current resting place.
We are working with the Museums Service and Parks Service to try to reach the best solution to the issue.