Creating a heritage walk around the wall
The Friends of Colchester Roman Wall are working with the Colchester Borough Museums Service to install a series of interpretation boards around the length of the Wall to guide visitors. Three are already in place and we envisage that there will be 12 or 13 in total.
Each is being co-sponsored by the Friends and by a particular organisation or individual.
- Balkerne Gate – Friends of Colchester Archaeological Trust
- Duncan’s Gate – Friends of Colchester Castle Park
- East Gate – Colchester Civic Society
- North Gate – Sir Bob Russell MP
- Head Gate – Ellisons Solicitors
- Priory Street – Colchester Archaeological Group
- Scheregate Steps – Colchester Tourist Guides
- Southwest Corner – Chantry Vellacott
- Northeast Corner
- Culver Square
- Sheepen Corner
- Vineyard Street
- Lower Castle Park
To ensure that they are attractive, durable and fit in with the redesign of Colchester Castle and other heritage signage around the town they will be installed by Redman Design in association with the Museums Service and English Heritage.